Sunday, May 14, 2017

1SG Kenny Nguyen - 1865 Blog

April 9, 1865 - The End
My god, I can't believe it. After four years of fighting, it finally happened. We won! It feels weird, yet so amazing! Even as I write this entry, the adrenaline is still rushing through my veins. Perhaps, now I can finally get to know my fellow countrymen again. I feel as though the reconstruction of our country will be smooth and easy under Lincoln's administration. 

Seeing Lee at Appomattox Courthouse, with his perfect attire and regal manner on his horse...has given me a proper respect for the Virginian general. A new sense of hope for the Union. Maybe someday, I could get a chance to talk to him. Someday.


April 10, 1865 - Progress

It's been merely a day and I've already forgiven the Southerners for what they've done, leaving our country, enslaving men and women for the purposes of farming, and overall being cruel and manipulative and lazy... On second thought, maybe I haven't, but I think I'm getting there.

April 12, 1865 - Goodbyes

Although it had pained me to say this. My regiment had gone their separate ways. Although, I plan on bringing the group back together. Black Storm! General Meade called us the best regiment that he had ever lead. Grant said we were the second best, first belonging to God's Legionnaires. Ha! Those religious fanatics...guess that includes me too. Under McClellan though, we had struggled to gain his attention, he cherished the State Farmers United. We had a pleasant time together, excluding, of course, that backstabbing traitor, Corporal Blackburn, but I will not mention him, that's for sure! Our reconnaissance missions have provided a lot of information that I didn't know, and to be honest, I've grown quite fond of Sergeant Jefferson's cooking, but don't tell anybody I wrote that. Corporal Thomas, despite his timidity, as shown to be an excellent soldier and I feel that he will do well as the second in command of our regiment. I passed the leadership down to my dear friend, Isaac Jefferson. He has been a good friend of mine since the incident at the tavern... We don't speak about it.

April 13, 1865 - Birthday

I turned 30 today. All my soldiers, my sister, and my adoptive father Alfred have gathered to celebrate it with me. There was cake and everything necessary for a proper birthday party. I feel old already. I made a few remarks about my service. "I've come to dedicate a portion of my life to the service of my beloved country. I felt as though it was altogether fitting and proper that I should do so." Ah, the good ol' days.

April 15, 1865 - 7:24 A.M.

Dear God! Why must someone commit such a heinous crime against our president! Why! I don't understand any of this. Curse that John Wilkes Booth!

I...had met him once. After his address at Gettysburg, I had the chance to talk to him. He gave me advice on how to best lead my regiment. He said it was like leading a nation, "don't care for yourself, care for everyone. Listen to everyone and take that into account before you make a decision." Huh, no wonder he was such a good president. May God bless his soul, for now, he belongs to the ages. I miss him already, and I think that we all do. What now? What about Reconstruction? Our rights? Our country? This is too much for me and for everyone else.


May 4, 1865 - A Proper Burial

It took me all my courage, but I had managed to give some proper remarks about our dear President before he was interred in Oak Ridge Cemetery along with his son, Willie. I, along with the rest of the soldiers remained there, saluting for a few minutes for our fallen hero. Everyone except me and Mrs. Lincoln had left the cemetery. I chose to stay to reminisce about our meeting all those years ago at Gettysburg. My regiment had barely survived that battle, but we made it. I kneeled and prayed our Lord to take especially good care of him, to give him a proper afterlife. Lincoln deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1865 post - Emily Yu

Hey ma and pa, I'm writing to you because I have something important to tell you , but first, I should tell you what happened after the...