Friday, April 7, 2017

private melvin thomas 1861 blog

This year has been very disappointing so far. Since I  am black, I am prohibited from fighting like I hoped to, I was given the boring job of cooking for my regiment. My supply was so low that the only way to feed the army was to forage for food. When we where first deployed to the battle of bull run, the battle was so ugly and long that I had to clean up dead bodies after the battle. I lost many of my close friends during the battle.
A lot of them also deserted the battle, but I stayed until the end. Next year I hope I will be allowed to fight.
I hope the president will grant service based on bravery instead of race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1865 post - Emily Yu

Hey ma and pa, I'm writing to you because I have something important to tell you , but first, I should tell you what happened after the...